So, a quick recap:
An early wake up call. My friend picked me up and dropped me and her husband off about 2 miles from the start line. That wasn’t the plan but traffic was horrible. We were running a few minutes late. But Jim and I made the 2 mile warm up, met up with the CRC and fleet feet running friends. Jim’s goal was 40 minutes. My goal was faster than 43:17, which is what I ran last year. I went in this race not in the best conditioning, less fitness than last year. But I was confident I could get a PR based on the 5 mile race I did a few weeks prior to this race. All I needed was a 6:56 pace to see sub 43.
The race Plan:
Since the CRBR has a huge bridge in the middle of it, it’s good to have a race plan. Last year I went out way too fast and died up the incline of the bridge with my wheels falling off by mile 4. This year my plan was simple. Take the first mile faster than goal pace (6:30) get a good groove going up the incline of the bridge, then take the down hill mile fast and just hang in to sub 7 pace the last 2 miles.
The race:
Gun goes off and I’m determined to stick to the race plan which includes not sprinting up the bridge. I see mile 1 in 6:35. ( and I lost sight of Jim, he took off fast!)So far so good! And then a weird thing with the weather happens. It had been sunny at the start of the race. I had sunglasses on. At the start of mile 2, I thought my sunglasses were fogging up due to the humidity. Well turns out it was actual fog. I ran the entire way up the bridge and down the bridge in fog. I couldn’t see the 3 mile marker or even the top of the bridge so I didn’t have a point of reference. This was a blessing in disguise!!!! I relied on how my legs felt. And how I felt the inclined and decline. I was wanting to see under 7:20 pace for miles 2 and 3 ( the incline parts of the bridge) I see 7:07 for mile 2, 7:27 for mile 3. I knew I needed to get a faster mile on the decline then just hold on for the ride until the finish.
When the decline started, I picked my pace up and told myself I’m over half way done. My legs were starting to feel a little heavy as the decline turned into flat land. I knew this stretch of flat would feel tough. I see mile 4 at 6:27. Right on target!!! Now it was just a matter of keeping a sub 7 pace until the finish. Miles 5 and 6 were hard both mentally and physically. The fog had lifted after I turned the corner off the bridge and on flat ground. The crowd support was awesome. I see mile 5 in 6:51. Just 1 more mile. All my thoughts turned towards my grandfather that final mile. I was running for those who could not. Every time I thought about how bad I felt I pushed a little harder. Or at least I tried to. I see mile 6 in 6:59. I was happy to see another sub 7! I was following the race plan nicely BUT I had to sprint the last .2 if I was expecting to see sub 43. I somehow manage a 6:25 pace the final .24 and finish with a 42:56!!!!!
I finished 7th in my AG, 56th female overall and 446th person overall out of around 30,000 runners! I made top 500, and got a PR! Yay! I was so glad to finish and finally be done! I see a lot of friends and CRC crew. I find Jim and he CRUSHED his goal and ended up getting a 38xx! Which means he will get a in the sub 40 corral next year!! I was super excited for him. He worked hard for it.
After the race Jim and I hit the after party for a bit, grab some free goodies then we find Dawn. She drives me back home and I then I took a long hot epsom salt bath. PRs sure do hurt!
Final thoughts:
I know I have a faster time in me 42:56 on the bridge is good but I wonder what I can do on a flat course? Can I break 40? I think that answer is a YES! But this year of training hasn’t been the greatest more in that later but I’m so proud of this race I ran last year in much better condition and higher fitness levels but I think following the race plan on a strategic course paid off I’m looking forward to seeing what I can do next year!!



No comments:
Post a Comment